Monday, October 15, 2012

Beauty Lost.


I once sat content, deep in the cave of my own mind.  Watching the shadows, thinking they were true Forms, I was convinced of my understanding of the "true" nature of everything.  But then She came.

Suddenly, I noticed the darkness around me.  I noticed the emptiness of the Forms on the wall.  I noticed my own loneliness.  And I wanted to see what She had to show me.

So, I followed Her into the light of the outside world.  At first, I was nearly blinded by the vivid Reality of it all.  What are these Forms?  What is this smell, is it really Air?  These Trees, how green, how solid, how beautiful!

But the most beautiful Form was Her.  She was Beauty.  She was Justice.  She was the Good itself.

The entire land seemed to be lighted by Her Form.  Whenever She left my side, to investigate a patch of grass, to chase a bird through the trees, or to do any number of wonderful things, I felt a feeling of twilight tugging at my soul.  I felt lonely.

But, She would always come back.  I would be stuck in my mind's twilight for no more than minutes at a time before She returned.  Further, She always returned with a bright smile that brought noonday back, and which more than made up for the time She was gone.

Despite it all, I began to feel anxiety over the prospects of Her returning.  I allowed my imagination to develop horrifying scenarios in which She got lost, was attacked by a pack of wolves, or, worst of all, found another soul to lead to the light and forgot all about me.

I tried to keep Her back one day.  She was about to run after a small mouse into a thicket of trees, but I stopped Her.  I told Her I didn't want Her to leave me, that I was lonely when She left.  The look She gave me was the saddest I have ever seen.  I could feel the pain behind Her eyes, the shock behind those slightly-parted lips, and I immediately regretted it.  

Ok, She said, I won't leave you alone anymore.  

I had gotten what I had wanted, so why did I feel so horrible?

As the days passed, She kept Her promise.  There was not a moment in which I was out of Her presence.  At first, I was happy to have Her there with me so much.  But there was always that gnawing knowledge in the back of my mind that I was keeping Her with me against Her will.

She seemed happy at first.  She smiled just as much, babbled on like the brooks we often walked along, and danced just the same.  As time went on, however, Her smile began gradually fading away, She stopped talking so much, and the dancing completely stopped.  

One day, I found Her staring at an eagle flying alone high up in the sky.  Behind it, pink clouds were superimposed on an orange sky.  It was a very beautiful sight.

I looked into Her eyes.  There was a deep longing there.  She wanted to be up there with that bird--not down here with me.

So I left Her.  Quietly, I stole away into the darkening forest.  I travelled back to my cave, and climbed to the top of the mountain under which my cave lied, for one last look at this brave new world I had experienced with Her.  

The trees, the grasslands, and the far-off sea were all bathed in a golden glow, as the sun was descending behind a distant mountain.  And there She was, flying in the lonely sky with that eagle.  But with Her, the sky seemed filled.  She was free, for I was gone.

I pulled myself away from the beautiful sight, and descended down the cliffside to my cave.  As I re-entered the cave, I heard the sound of soft laughter, carried to me by the friendly winds whose soft whispers I would never hear again.

Then, I was alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment